Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas. And although we can’t see it, carbon monoxide can be deadly. Keep your family safe by preventing exposure and knowing the signs of this possible hazard.
Preventing CO poisoning
- Use CO alarms. Place a CO alarm on every floor of your house, especially near any room where people sleep. If the alarm goes off, leave your home immediately and call 9-1-1. Seek prompt medical attention if you suspect CO poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed or nauseous.
- Check the batteries. Check or replace the batteries in your alarms when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall.
- Get appliances serviced. Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, wood or coal-burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
- Don’t leave vehicles idling. If your garage is attached to your home, don’t leave your car or truck idling inside—even if the garage door is open.
Preventing CO poisoning during a power outage
- Never use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline, kerosene, propane or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, garage or near a window.
- Don’t burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn’t vented to the outside air.
- If you suspect CO poisoning and you or anyone in your family is experiencing dizziness, nausea, lightheadedness, vomiting, headache or confusion, leave your home immediately, call 9-1-1 for medical attention and stay out of the house until the problem has been corrected.
Source: Consumers Energy