Michigan boasts some of the best snowmobile riding options in the country, but every year there are multiple crashes on local roads and trails.
For that reason, the Michigan Department of Natural Resources has compiled a list of safe riding tips that will help keep riders safe once the snow starts to fly.
- Always keep your machine in top mechanical condition.
- Always wear insulated boots and protective clothing including a helmet, gloves and eye protection.
- Never ride alone.
- When possible, avoid crossing frozen bodies of water.
- Never operate in a single file when crossing frozen bodies of water.
- Always be alert to fences and low strung wires.
- Never operate on a street or highway.
- Always look for depressions in the snow.
- Keep headlights and tail lights on at all times.
- When approaching an intersection, come to a complete stop, raise off the seat and look for traffic.
- Always check the weather conditions before you depart.
- Slow down! Speed is a contributing factor in nearly all fatal accidents.
- Don’t drink – alcohol impairs judgment and slows reaction time. Make it ‘none’ for the trail.
Live to enjoy Michigan’s winter wonderland!
Source: Michigan DNR